WLM ID: akhi | Catalog Record
One of the first man-made, non-explosive liquid anesthetics was halothane (Fluothane.) More potent than ether, it allowed more rapid onset and faster recovery as well. It was synthesized in 1951 by Charles W. Suckling (1920--) who worked for Imperial Chemical Industries (ICI.) It was introduced clinically in Great Britain in 1955. One of the first to use it in the United States was Dr. Ephraim S. Siker (1926--). Its advantages soon made it popular, but concerns over possible side effects led to the National Halothane Study. The authors of the study, published in 1969, concluded that the agent was as safe as other anesthetics. This bottle, labeled both in English and in Arabic, was manufactured by ICI , and was used by allied military forces in Operation Desert Storm (August 1990 – February 1991.) The bottle was donated to the WLM by Dr. Roderick Calverley, who served in the U. S. Army during that conflict.