Lundy Rochester Model Machine
WLM ID: aiqf | Catalog Record
Introduced in 1924, the Lundy Rochester Anesthesia Machine allowed for ethylene, nitrous oxide, carbon dioxide, oxygen and ether to be administered to the patient via separate controls on a single apparatus. Dr. John S. Lundy (1894-1973) worked with dentist, inventor, and manufacturer Jay A. Heidbrink (1875-1957) to develop this machine. It is more elaborate than the first four-gas machine, Foregger’s Seattle Model, which was designed a year earlier upon Lundy’s recommendations.
Lundy was an extremely productive anesthesiologist with numerous accomplishments to his name. Collaborating with others, Dr. Lundy developed and improved a variety of anesthetic devices, including needles and syringes for regional anesthesia and an early ventilator. He established the first anatomy lab at the Mayo Clinic and the first blood bank in the United States. Lundy developed the concept of 'balanced anesthesia,' and played a large role in the development of intravenous anesthesia.