WLM ID: akiz, akjb, akjc | Catalog Record
In 1882, the Austrian chemist, August Freund (1835-1892) synthesized cyclopropane. In 1929, pharmacologists at the University of Toronto, Velyien E. Henderson (1877-1945) and George H. W. Lucas (1895-1974) reported its anesthetic properties. Dr. Ralph M. Waters (1883-1979) conducted clinical studies of it at the University of Wisconsin, and reported the results in 1934. Cyclopropane acted more rapidly and had fewer physiological effects than other inhalation agents of the time. It became the most widely used anesthetic gas until the development of non-explosive agents in the 1950s. The pharmaceutical company, E. R. Squibb & Sons, supplied the compressed gas in quantities from 100-gallon cylinders to small "Amplons" holding only a few liters. These Amplons were probably manufactured in the 1930s.