Flagg Endotracheal Tube
WLM ID: akng, akja, akiw | Catalog Record
Dr. Paluel J. Flagg (1886-1970) wrote one of the earliest American anesthesia textbooks in 1916. He also strove to improve patient safety through better understanding and management of the airway. Aided by Dr. Chevalier Jackson, he introduced his two-piece metal endotracheal tubes in 1928. These tubes are inserted into the patient's trachea (windpipe) to provide a clear passage for air and anesthetic gases both to and from the patient's lungs.
Reinforced tracheal tubes had been used as early as the 1870s. One of Dr. Flagg's innovations was to add a perfectly matched introducer, or stylet, to keep the flexible tube from kinking during insertion. Once the tube was in place, the rigid stylet was removed by pulling on the short handle. When in use, the spiral wire was covered with a rubber sheath to make it airtight. After use, this was discarded to allow the tubes to be sterilized. Illustrated here are Flagg tube sizes 3, 5, and 9.
Dr. Flagg’s strong interest in patient safety led him to found the Society for the Prevention of Asphyxial Death in 1933. For over 40 years, this organization taught doctors and paramedics how to perform basic and advanced respiratory and cardiac resuscitation.