Waters Morton House

WLMD ID: aeps
Watercolor by Leroy D. Vandam, M.D.
© 1994, The Wood Library-Museum of Anesthesiology

William Morton moved to this house in 1827 when he was 8 years old. His father, James Morton, bought this house on Cemetery Road in old Charlton Center from the estate of Israel Waters, a prosperous tanner. Some time during the Charlton interval, Horace Wells (then an itinerant practitioner) took care of dental needs of James Morton. Perhaps this was the occasion that led to the younger Morton's future dental practice and his relationship with Wells, and eventually to the successful demonstration of ether anesthesia on October 16, 1846 at Massachusetts General Hospital.

Catalog Record: Waters Morton House

Access Key: aeps

Title: [The Waters-Morton house] / Roy Vandam.

Author Vandam, Leroy D. (David), 1914-2004.

Publisher [198-].

Physical Descri: 1 watercolor on rough watercolor paper : color ; visible image 48 x 56 cm., in frame 70 x 78 cm.

Subject: Morton, W. T. G. (William Thomas Green), 1819-1868.

Form/Genre: Paintings.
Form/Genre: Watercolors.

Relationships: Host item
Title : Dr. Leroy Vandam watercolors.

Note type: General
Notes: Selected for the WLM website, 2010.

Note type: General
Notes: Title from Sept. 1993 ASA Newsletter.

Note type: Reproduction
Notes: Photographed by Mr. William Lyle, 7/13/2010; A WLM print of the work was
framed and on display at the Park Ridge, ASA Headquarters Building. It is
now located in the warehouse at 10 K 4.

Note type: Publications about
Notes: This painting was featured in an Anesthesiology Reflection, in the journal
Anesthesiology, by George Bause, MD (citation: Bause G. The Waters-Morton
House by Vandam. Anesthesiology. 2010;113(2):270.).

Note type: Abstract
Notes: View of the back of a sun-lit, white, three story (+ attack) house with two
brick chimneys, attached carriage house, and workshop or small barn.
Hazy-blue sky, and green, orange, and red vegetation. In the September 1993
ASA Newsletter, Dr. Vandam described this house: ” … a handsome 2 1/2
story , Georgian edifice with massive indoor chimneys at each end, was
dedicated as a national monument in 1975.”

Note type: General
Notes: One of 8 original watercolors by Dr. Leroy Vandam in the WLM collection.
Double matted, wood frame with glass. Painting and frame in excellent
condition.