ASA News No. 1
Since its founding in 1905, the American Society of Anesthesiologists has convened in various meetings each year. By 1936, with hundreds of members from coast to coast, the need for more frequent communication with the full membership was clear. Edited by Kevin C. McCarthy, M.D., the first issue of the ASA Newsletter was published in April, 1938, and consisted of a single typed page. In its early years the Newsletter had a folksy quality. It included want ads for jobs and equipment, wedding and birth announcements. and reports of local as well as national meetings. After WWII, ASA membership soared and the Newsletter grew into an essential service, providing up-to-date information about the organization's activities and topics of current interest. In 2004, the Newsletter began publication both in print and online. The name was changed to The Monitor in October, 2015. It is available to each of ASA’s 54,000+ members in print or electronically and to non-members through subscription.