John S. Lundy, M.D.*
JOHN S. LUNDY, M.D.
Dr. John Silas Lundy served as President of the American Society of Anesthesiologists
in 1946, and was the recipient of the ASA’s highest honor, the Distinguished Service Award, in
1948. He also served the ASA as a member of the Journal Committee from 1940-1946 and as a
member of the Board of Directors from 1936-1946.
Dr. Lundy was born in Inkster, North Dakota on July 6, 1894. He received the degree of
Bachelor of Arts from the University of North Dakota in 1917 and his M.D. degree from Rush
Medical College in Chicago, Illinois in 1920. He served his internship at Harper Hospital in
He then practiced in Seattle, Washington until 1924, when Dr. William Mayo invited him to join
the staff at the Mayo Clinic. Dr. Lundy was appointed an Instructor at Mayo Clinic in 1925,
Assistant Professor in 1928, Associate Professor in 1931, and Professor in 1934. In June, 1934,
he introduced pentothal sodium into clinical practice and in 1935 established the first blood bank
in the U.S. at Mayo Clinic. In 1942, Dr. Lundy opened the first postanesthesia recovery room in
Dr. Lundy helped to organize the Section on Anesthesiology of the American Medical
Association and served as its Secretary from 1941 to 1955.
Certificate No. 2 in the American Board of Anesthesiology was held by Dr. Lundy, who helped
to found this organization, serving as its President in 1942.
In 1943, Dr. Lundy received the honorary degree of Doctor of Law from the Hahnemann
Medical College of Philadelphia.
In 1948, the University of North Dakota awarded him the honorary degree of Doctor of Science.
Also in 1948, Dr. Lundy was presented with an honorary license to practice medicine in the State
of North Dakota (the first such honor ever issued, so far as is known).
In 1957, Dr. Lundy was elected the first President of the Anesthesia Memorial Foundation, an
organization dedicated to helping young men in anesthesiology and to building the specialty.
Also in 1957, Dr. Lundy was the recipient of the Horace Wells Anesthesia Award.
In 1968, Dr. Lundy received the Gold Medal of the Canadian Anaesthetists’ Society for
“meritorious service and many contributions to the Specialty of Anaesthesia.”
Dr. Lundy was a member of numerous societies, including the American Medical Association,
the International Anesthesia Research Society, the Anesthesia National Research Council, the
International College of Surgeons, the American National Red Cross, and the Cuban and French
Societies of Anesthesiologists.
Dr. Lundy was the author of approximately 350 published papers, and a book titled Clinical
Anesthesia, which is known the world over.
ASA Newsletter. 1973;37(6).