Chicago Model 463
The Ben Morgan Apparatus Company became the Chicago Anesthetic Equipment Company (CAE) around 1949. Machines in CAE’s 460 Series were made from the late 1940s to the late 1950s. The Model 463 could administer nitrous oxide , oxygen and cyclopropane, and had a pressure gauge for each gas. When new, a pole mounted on the left front corner of the machine held an assembly that included a carbon dioxide absorber and an ether vaporizer. The machine shown here is equipped with universal yokes, which allowed the attachment of any compressed gas cylinder to any yoke. These were outmoded by the pin index safety standard in 1952.
Catalog Record: Chicago Model 463
Access Key: amvm
Accession No.: 2015-05-20-1
Title: Model 463 / Chicago Anesthetic Equipment Co.
Title variation: Alt Title
Title: Chicago Anesthetic Equipment Co. Model 463.
Title variation: Alt Title
Title: Chicago anesthesia machine.
Publisher: Chicago : Chicago Anesthetic Equipment Company, [between 1949 and 1952].
Physical Descript: 1 anesthesia machine : metals, plastics, glass, rubber ; 122 x 52 x 52 cm.
Subject: Anesthesia Machines.
Subject: Anesthesia, Inhalation – instrumentation.
Note Type: General
Notes: The dates in the publication date range are those of the earliest known
advertisement (1949) and the date when the pin index system was implemented
Note Type: Citation
Notes: Chicago Anesthetic Equipment Co. company file. Archives. Located at: Wood
Library-Museum of Anesthesiology, Schaumburg, Illinois.
Note Type: Physical Description
Notes: One anesthesia machine; Stainless steel cabinet with four wheels; On the
front, below the tabletop, an oval label reads: “Mfd. by [new line] Chicago
Anesthetic [new line] Equipment Co. [new line] Chicago, ILL U.S.A. [new line]
Model 463” (the number has been stamped rather than printed); Below the
tabletop a metal handle is mounted to the front of the cabinet; Below the
handle, there are four drawers in graduated sizes, the shallowest at the top
and the deepest at the bottom;
Mounted on the left front corner of the machine, below the tabletop, is a
stout bracket to hold a pole; When the machine is complete, the pole carries
an assembly comprising a carbon dioxide absorber and an ether vaporizer (this
assembly has been removed and is stored separately);
Mounted toward the back of the tabletop is a vertical, rectangular flowmeter
bank holding three tubes; The left flowmeter tube is marked “Read at Top of
Float [new line] Liters Per Min. [new line] Nitrous Oxide”, the scale is
marked from top to bottom: “12 10 8 6 4 2 CC 1000 500 300 100”; The
center tube is marked “Read at Top of Float [new line] CC Per Min. [new line]
Cyclopropane”, the scale is marked from top to bottom: “1000 700 500 300
100 50 25”; The right tube is marked “Read at Top of Float [new line]
Oxygen [new line] Liters Per Min.”, the scale is marked from top to bottom:
“14 10 4 2 CC 1000 5 00 300 100”; One control knob for each gas is
mounted on the tabletop, each directly below and in front of the associated
tube; The knob on the left is painted blue, the knob in the center is painted
orange, the knob on the right is painted green;
To the right of the flowmeter bank a metal lever is mounted on the tabletop;
The underside of the lever seats within the tabletop; To the right of the
lever, at the rear right corner of the tabletop, a component that is now
missing has left marks of concentric rings on the tabletop; In the center of
these marks a screw is set into the tabletop (in some illustrations of the
Model 460 Series, this space is occupied by a suction bottle); Directly
behind this, a small metal tube extends upward from the back of the machine,
and bends inward toward the screw;
On the left wall of the cabinet, the following components are mounted below
the tabletop, from front to back: an unmarked universal yoke (without pin
index), a gauge, a second universal yoke, a second gauge, and a third
universal yoke; The first gauge (between the first and second yokes) is
marked: “500 1000 1500 2000 2500 3000 [new line] Use No Oil [new line]
Jas. P. Marsh [new line] Corporation [new line] Skokie, ILL Made in U.S.A.”;
The second gauge (between the second and third yokes) is marked: “25 50 75
100 125 150 175 200 [new line] C3H6 [new line] Ohio Chemical & Surgical
Equipment Co. [new line] A Division of Air Reduction, Incorporated [new line]
Madison, Wisconsin U.S.A.”; Lower on the left wall of the cabinet, a metal
strap is mounted which forms three bays to hold gas cylinders;
On the right wall of the cabinet, the following components are mounted below
the tabletop, from front to back: a knob, a universal yoke, a gauge, and a
second universal yoke; The knob is painted green, and has a short metal tube
extending from the hub that holds it to the machine; The gauge is marked: “0
500 1000 1500 2000 2500 3000 [new line] Use No Oil [new line] Jas. P.
Marsh [new line] Corporation [new line] Skokie, ILL Made in U.S.A.”; Lower on
the right wall of the cabinet, a metal strap is mounted which forms two bays
to hold gas cylinders;
On the back wall of the cabinet, below the tabletop, an adhesive ownership
label reads: “Washington Hospital Center [new line] 19490 [new line] Do Not
Remove This Label.”
Note Type: Reproduction
Notes: Photographed by Mr. Steve Donisch on June 5, 2015.
Note Type: Historical
Notes: The Ben Morgan Apparatus Company became the Chicago Anesthetic Equipment
Company (CAE) around 1949. An undated brochure states “Chicago Anesthetic
Equipment Co., Formerly Ben Morgan Apparatus Co.”. The same brochure includes
the “Ben Morgan Suction and Ether Apparatus” (a cabinet machine not found in
elsewhere in the collection.) The latest dated Ben Morgan advertisement in
the collection is dated 1948, while the earliest dated CAE advertisements in
the collection appeared in January, 1949. The latest dated CAE literature in
the collection is dated 1968, by which time the company had moved from
Chicago to its suburb, Skokie, Illinois.
In the collection, CAE advertisements for the Model 460 Series date from 1949
through 1956. The cylinder yokes on the cataloged example are all of the
universal (undifferentiated) type, which was outmoded by the new, national
pin-index safety standard in 1952.
Note Type: Exhibition
Notes: Selected for the WLM website (noted November 25, 2015).