Warren Medicine Chest
WLM ID: akhv | Catalog Record
This medicine chest belonged to Dr. John Collins Warren (1778-1856). He was the first Dean of Harvard Medical School and the first surgeon at Boston's Massachusetts General Hospital. On January 20, 1845, he granted the dentist, Horace Wells an opportunity to demonstrate anesthesia using nitrous oxide gas. Although Wells had proven the technique in his own dental practice, his demonstration failed. Despite this disappointment, Dr. Warren gave Wells' former partner, Dr. William T. G. Morton, the chance to make another demonstration of anesthesia. On October 16, 1846, Morton successfully demonstrated the use of sulfuric ether. News of Morton's success soon reached around the world, and began the era of modern surgical anesthesia.