The first popular binaural (two-ear) stethoscope was introduced in 1855 by New York physician George P. Cammann, M.D. (1804-1863). By the late 19th Century binaural stethoscopes had largely taken the place of monaural instruments, but some of the latter continued to be available through the 1920s, and a few even later. They did not come back into wide use until the 1960s, when a new type was developed that featured a custom-molded earpiece.
The tall brown stethoscope shown here is made of fruitwood, and probably dates from the late-19th Century. The short, black stethoscope was invented in 1895 by French obstetrician Adolphe Pinard (1844-1934) and is still in use today; it was donated by Dennis E. Jackson, M.D. (1878-1980).
Catalog Record: Monaural Stethoscopes Contact [email protected] for catalog record.